Thursday, January 12, 2017

5 reasons why Leslie Knope is my role model

Yes, I'm aware that she's a fictional character but Leslie Knope is still my role model.

In case you aren't familiar with her, Leslie Knope is Amy Poehler's character on the awesome show Parks and Recreation (which I am currently rewatching for the third time). Here's why she's my role model, and should be yours, too.

1. She's passionate.
Leslie Knope doesn't do anything with less than 100% effort. She knows what she wants to do, and she'll go after it with everything she has, damn the consequences.

2. She's a great friend.
We all want a friend like Leslie and we all want to BE a friend like Leslie. From her strange compliments to her best friend, Ann, who she admittedly loves more than her husband, to the sweet and personalized gifts she gets everyone at Christmas, we all need a bit of Leslie Knope in our friendships.

3. She proved that your biological clock is bullshit.
When the show starts, Leslie is 34 years old. She is also single with no kids. She gets engaged and married to the absolute love of her life (no, not Ann) in season 5 and marries him just a few episodes later. In season 6, at the age of 40, she gets pregnant. Without trying. With triplets. I've focused so hard on settling down in my 20s, but Leslie reminds me that my age is irrelevant. Finding the perfect partner is what matters.

4. She proves that there is more than one kind of soul mate.
If you don't think Leslie and Ben are absolutely perfect for each other, you need to get out of my face right now. They are perfect and also he is perfect with his gigantic nerdy self and if you don't love him then you're wrong. But Ben isn't Leslie's only soul mate. Ann counts too. Being best friends with someone can be very fleeting. I've had many people I've considered my best friend over the years, but I have a friend soul mate, and that's bigger than anything else. Leslie and Ann stood the test of time, and the even harder test of distance, and made it out the other side. Because they're soul mates.

5. She proves that yes, it's possible to have it all.
Leslie is such a relatable character. From her blind persistence in getting things done to her failed relationships, Leslie is one of the most relatable characters on tv. She works hard at a job she's passionate about and eventually ends up exactly where she wanted to be in her career. She also maintains healthy friendships, a loving relationship with her husband, and manages to raise TRIPLETS.

Leslie Knope is the woman we should all aspire to be. Personally, I relate more with April because I hate everyone and everything but secretly also care about everyone and everything, but that's beside the point. Go forth, Leslies of the world.

Also, if you haven't binge watched Parks and Recreation,  do it NOW.

No comments:

Post a Comment